21 Testimonies of 42 Days of Fasting and Prayer
In December 2020 our pastor, Rev. Dr. Tyree Anderson, called the church to a 21-day period of fasting and prayer in preparation for the approaching new year. I have learned through the years that fasting as a discipline is most effective for my spiritual and intellectual growth when I fast “to” something in addition to fasting “from” something. I decided that one of the areas I needed to enhance was my ability to speak to people with words that build up in opposed to words that tear down. I set out to speak only words that edify. I was not at all surprised when many days I had little to say. It is amazing how easy it is to speak words that serve to hinder people. In addition to fasting, our pastor gave us a list of scriptures to read and specific things to pray. Afterwards, I found that this time in prayer and fasting enhanced my ability to see the world around me in a different, more truthful light. It also aided in my ability to effectively communicate with my adult children, who often report that I am not good at listening to them and that my words are often harsh. Holy Spirit continues this work in my life.
In January 2021 a mentor, Rev. Dr. Kris Erskine called a fast for his church as well as “The MoveMent,” a group of believers who meet each morning via a variety of social media platforms to believe God for two things “the Radical and the Ridiculous.” I joined the fast with a decision to fast from sugar and fast to better physical health. Along with this fast there was Bible teaching and prayer each morning. I have followed the MoveMent since it began. This time however the teaching was deeper and stouter, challenging us to grow up. It was as Dr. Erskine loves to say, “Phenomenal!” At the completion of the fast, the participants were asked to submit a list of 21 testimonies of how God has worked in our lives during this time of fasting and prayer. Below are mine.
- I published my first children’s book entitled, Yes, Junior. Available at Amazon.com
- My youngest son got a new job.
- My oldest son developed and attitude of helpfulness.
- I got some unexpected money.
- I completed grief counseling (last meeting will be February 6, 2021).
- I learned to drink black coffee which is much more beneficial to my health.
- No one in my house, nor any of my siblings, nor any of their children have contracted COVID-19.
- I began journaling using the guided journal Self-Love NOT Self-Loathing by Dr. Dimple J. Martin.
- I am experiencing more happy, joyful moments that sad ones.
- I am eating practically no meat.
- My ear is more opened to hearing the truth.
- I am developing the capacity to not force my way, but to allow Holy Spirit to make the way.
- I am becoming more politically and socially aware.
- Began studying for the Praxis in Educational Leadership to renew my certification.
- My appetite for unhealthy food stuff has further diminished.
- I have earned some money on some investments.
- I am experiencing greater assurance that God is working on my behalf.
- I am gaining a better understanding of what it means to believe in Jesus.
- I am near the completion of another book project.
- I am being delivered form the desire to engage in unfruitful arguments.
- I am learning to be honest with God and people.
As we approach the Lenten season, our pastor has instructed us to begin to think and pray about what we will fast from as we prepare to celebrate the life of Jesus by remembering his death and resurrection. I believe I will fast from unhealthy practices by fasting to a more consistent exercise routine. I need my body to be stronger so that it is fit to carry out the upcoming work that will be assigned to me.
I have learned that fasting and prayer are wonderful gifts that make the mind and body alert and energized. In addition to these assigned times of fasting and prayer I also engage in intermittent fasting which I began as a treatment for diabetes. I am determined to be all that God has created me to be and to accomplish all that God has assigned to me. That is LIFE – Living Inspired Free Enthusiastic!